The Multi Piece Shipment feature allows you to associate all packages within a shipment with one master tracking number. This is useful in scenarios where carriers charge shipping fees for every tracking number, as you can save money by shipping multiple boxes under one tracking number.
If this feature isn't enabled, then each package within a shipment will have its own separate tracking number by default.
This feature can be used on Ship to Home, STH Consolidation, and Transfer shipments but requires split packing slips to be enabled as well. It has no effect on return label behavior—each package will still have its own return label as per usual.
Currently, Multi Piece Shipments can only be used with custom carriers. You must check whether the carrier you're integrating with allows multiple boxes for a single tracking number. This determines whether the feature can be used with that carrier or not.
Note that all packages within one shipment will use the same carrier. For example, if a shipment has five packages then you could not use Carrier A for three packages and Carrier B for the remaining two.
Enable Multi Piece Shipments
Multi Piece Shipments is disabled by default but can be enabled in location group configurations. It must be enabled separately for each location group and carrier you want to use it with.
- Go to Main > Orders > Location Groups.
- Click a location group to open its settings.
- Go to the Config Settings tab and scroll down to Shipping.
- Click Settings next to a carrier to open its more detailed options.
- Enable Multi Piece Shipment.
- Click Okay to close the module and then Save in the top right of the page.
Fulfiller UI Process
In the Prepare for Shipment step of the fulfillment process, a checkbox allows the fulfiller to choose whether or not to use the feature for that particular shipment.
- Check Use Multi Piece Shipment.If you have only one package in your shipment, then please unselect the checkbox. Multi Piece Shipment should only be used for shipments with multiple packages.
- Select a carrier and enter the usual information for each package such as its service type and dimensions. Keep the following requirements in mind:
- Only carriers that support Multi Piece Shipments will be available to select from.
- You can only select one carrier to use for all packages.
- All packages must have the same service type.
- Either click Print Shipping Label to automatically generate a master tracking number for all packages and print the shipping label or click Enter The Tracking Number to manually enter a master tracking number.
If you manually enter a tracking number, you currently will not be able to save package dimensions or enter any additional tracking numbers for identifying packages that the carrier might provide. Support for these actions will be added in a future release.
Additionally, if you return to a previous step after generating the master tracking number then Kibo recommends that you regenerate a new master tracking number.
- If you entered the tracking number manually, click Print Shipping Label to generate a single PDF containing shipping labels for all packages. Each label will indicate which number it is out of the total in the shipment, such as in the below example for three packages:
Master Tracking Number: #123456 Packages: #123456 1/3 #123456 2/3 #123456 3/3
- Attach the label to the package and click Yes, Complete Shipment. The shipment is now considered Fulfilled.