To use inventory segmentation, you need to enable them on your tenant and then configure your tags.
Enable Inventory Tags
Tags must be enabled and configured before inventory can be used in segments.
- Click Inventory Settings in the Inventory UI to access the inventory configurations.
- Under the Inventory Tags section, click Enable Inventory Tags to toggle this functionality on.
This will create an empty table where tags will be displayed once created.
Create Inventory Tags
To begin configuring your first tag, click Create Inventory Tag. A pop-up will appear with the configuration settings.
- Give the tag a name (such as Channel).
- Enter the value option (such as Amazon).
- At least one value must be set – this first value will always be the default. A default is required, as if no tag is specified for an inventory item then it will use this value instead.
- If desired, set the allocation percentage. This will determine how much of the total inventory is made available for this segment. In this example, 50% of the discrete total inventory will always be allocated for the Amazon sales channel.
If you want to use discrete values for your inventory segmentation instead of a percentage, you must leave the Inventory Allocation % field blank. If you do set percentage values but want to switch to discrete values later, you must delete all tags and re-add them without percentages to view discrete inventory.
- Once the initial default is set, click Add Tag Value to create another option for this tag. These values should be unique within each tag name.
- If an allocation percentage is specified for each value, then all of the percentages must add up to 100%.
- In the below example, the first value is allocated at 50% so additional tags could be created with allocations of 20% and 30%. However, it is not required to set these percentages – if any are left blank, then validation will not be done for that tag value when inventory levels are refreshed. It will effectively accept any amount of inventory, as long as other values' percentage requirements are satisfied first.
- Once set, the new tag is added to the Inventory Tags table. Additional tags with their own set of possible values can be added, though each tag name should be unique.
- Click a tag in the table to expand its details and view the possible values and allocation percentages, as well as change the preferred default value. Or, use the dropdown menu to Edit or Delete a tag. Editing will open the same pop-up as used for creation, allowing you to alter all values and delete any non-default values.