When certain status changes or actions are performed on subscriptions, they trigger customer email notifications and/or UCP event notifications.
You can enable or disable email notifications in your System > Settings > General email options, under the list of emails titled Subscription. While default email templates are provided, they can be customized via the site theme.
Emails are triggered when:
- A subscription changes status to Active, Paused, Cancelled, or Errored.
- The subscription is converted into an order for immediate placement.
- The subscription frequency or Next Order Date is updated.
- The shipping address or shipping method is changed.
- The payment method is changed.
- Subscription items are added, removed, or have their quantity changed.
- The next subscription order is skipped.
- A continuity order date is upcoming and a reminder is sent in advance.
- A subscription is paused and reminders are periodically sent to remind the customer that they can reactivate it.
- A subscription's pause limit has been reached and the subscription will be automatically reactivated soon.
Event notifications are different from customer emails, as they are payloads of data that are sent to a JSON endpoint or custom application instead of the shopper. There are two types of event notifications generated for subscriptions.
- Subscription Status Changed: Triggered when a subscription changes status to Active, Paused, Cancelled, or Errored.
- Subscription Payment Updated: Triggered when a subscription's payment method is updated.
See the events documentation for more information about event notifications and how these payloads are formatted, as they follow a standardized template.